ADDRESS AND CONTACT INFORMATION

Hermano Wayne Allen Jenson and Hermana Dorleen Burns Jenson
La Posada Familiar
Cra. 10 No. 8 - 55
San Gil Santander
Colombia
S.A.

Email them at dorleen59@gmail.com !!!

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mostly Barichara

First a left-over from the rain - fun to share a rainstorm like this with a friend. Esperanza and I were caught in this together. At the far corner, you may be able to see how deep the water was at the intersection. Across the street, the water by the door has come up over a 4 inch curb.





OK, a little weird, but you have seen the beautiful streets in San Gil, I couldn't resist getting out of the car the day Juan Carlos, Wayne and I went to Barichara. I had enjoyed the Relief Society visit so much that I wanted Wayne to see it, so Juan Carlos took an afternoon and drove us there. We passed by this pile of huge stones, the sand for the cement, and I was hooked on the step by step of the road building here. I could not choose which pictures to delete, so this is just as I walked up the path towards Barichara centro.





A quick look back just for a different perspective, and a look at the beautiful sky. Ok, back toward the town, and we meet the "end of the road" as it is being built.



I was amazed at the masonry job being done, every stone so precise, here the shadow more or less marks then end of the finished road. Can you imagine the back-breaking intensive labor involved in this? Makes our fireplaces look like sissy-stuff!


Then, imagine that each of these little channels in the rock - for traction, drainage, whatever, is hand chizeled. It is almost impossible to imagine this. We first noticed this as some street repair was being done in San Gil, and they hand chizel the mortar out, remove each stone, repair the pipes underneath, and then replace the stones. If one is too broken to reuse, they chizel another, and then chizel the channels in it. Wow!




Walking along to road to meet the guys, I really wondered what story this wall could tell. The blue sky and rich color of the rock reminded of a Lake Powell palette. I may crop it to see if it can look like the Powell cliffs against the sky. (I know, my wires are working overtime)

The plants growing out of the corner of this house were so unique, I'm glad the man appeared just as I took the foto.


This is one of the paths to walk/run from Barichara to Guane. If you look very carefully, you can see the figure of a man at the bend of the trail (a little white spot). He was just sitting on a rock with a goat on the end of a rope that he was fattening up with the hope of selling it in a few months.






The quiantness of the streets is just beautiful.
Peaceful and safe, "tranquila y amable"





This green and white is the closest to a zoning/building code I've seen. It certainly gives a clean beautiful look to this little pueblo.

Yes, the sculpture on the right is a molar. Made me feel like leaving the guy a dollar and inviting him for ice cream. (Grandkid tradition for those who don't know the family.)



Don't know if you can really appreciate the beauty of this sky. I love clouds, and this one had it all!
Adios to Barichara, to be visited again when we go to Guane.

Camilo's baptism! This guys are from Provivienda, and what a cute bunch. Are these great smiles or not! Camilo is in the pink shirt.


They all wanted to see how their hands compared to those of the Gringo Grande. I don't think they will ever forget him. I love seeing how comfortable they are to have their arms around each other.






Camilo's mom is on the left, Elder Huanio, Edwin Bonza, and Elder Moen on the back. His little sister and friends in front. The tall boy on the left is Jairo, neighbor, and in the white shirt is Jonathan, he is the son of Meri in the next picture




I call Lucila, Meri, and Maria the "Three Muskateras" because they are so supportive of each other. I appreciate being able to share in their friendship.



What to give a Mission President, his wife and family, to say thanks for his service? (Yes, the can of Raid is always on hand!)


The finished collage. I wish I had had some of you scrap-bookers here to help me! I did what I could with the primitive stuff I had to work with. I had the missionaries sign the back. I think it was a success. Clicking on this one could be like "Where's Wayne?" I'll have to make a count!

Top-Left - creative missionary-ladder to paint a members house!

Lastly, just an interesting foto on the way to Bucaramanga for our meeting with Pres. Camargo. I have pictures of this hemp like fiber (I can't remember the name - it's 1:15 a.m.), but I hadn't been able to capture the beautiful colors. There is a hot pink that is gorgeous, and the other day, we passed a lady out throwing the fibers across a post with nails in the top to comb the fibers. The bus glimpse of her was so quick I couldn't even get my camera to the window.

Good night/morning, hope you have enjoyed sharing this. I love what we are experiencing here, it has not always been easy, but it has been worth it for the change and perspective it has brought to us. Not the least of which is how much we love our family. We can't believe that we have less than 6 months left, and we look forward to returning home to everyone, but it will not be without a bit of sadness to leave our new friends here in Santander, Colombia! This has been a wonderful place for us to serve our mission.
Love,
Elder and Hermana Jenson

No comments:

You can also send things to the mission office address

Hermano Wayne Allen Jenson and Hermana Dorleen Burns Jenson
Colombia Bogota North Mission
Calle 72 # 10-07 Oficina 1001
Edificio Segurus Colmena
Bogota Disrito Capital
Colombia