Tried my hand at making Rice Pudding the other day, was surprised to find the nutmeg (nuez moscada) sold in these two "beans" per package. I didn't know quite how to fix them so I just chopped them very fine with a knife. It sure smelled good. The spices all come in these little cellophane bags, this is the cinnamon (canela)

A few weeks ago, Jesus Avila (pink shirt) invited Miguel to attend our English class at the church. Last week he invited Jesus, Wayne and me to meet his family at their finca. His parents were delightful, his nieces were also working on filling their album (Jets candy bars with the animals of the world), and this squirrel was in an "indefinite suspension" or time-out because he was destroying the cacao pods. He was really quite pretty, and I thought he struck a great pose for me.

This is a picture of a folgon or bar-b-q-type stove in the yard, Miguel is holding a damaged cacao (Chocolate) pod (this is the damage the squirrels do), and the loose beans are the actual chocolate beans. He is demonstrating how they grind the beans - wow, do many of us remember these grinders. I helped mom grind up a lot of roasts to make the hash, and also to grind stuff for her chili sauce.

These are our Socorro members and friends. I have a picture of Wayne being just about an inch too tall to stand up straight in the room. Actually one of the elders has it, so I have to get it from him. Wayne and I spoke here last Sunday.
A few weeks ago, Jesus Avila (pink shirt) invited Miguel to attend our English class at the church. Last week he invited Jesus, Wayne and me to meet his family at their finca. His parents were delightful, his nieces were also working on filling their album (Jets candy bars with the animals of the world), and this squirrel was in an "indefinite suspension" or time-out because he was destroying the cacao pods. He was really quite pretty, and I thought he struck a great pose for me.
This is a picture of a folgon or bar-b-q-type stove in the yard, Miguel is holding a damaged cacao (Chocolate) pod (this is the damage the squirrels do), and the loose beans are the actual chocolate beans. He is demonstrating how they grind the beans - wow, do many of us remember these grinders. I helped mom grind up a lot of roasts to make the hash, and also to grind stuff for her chili sauce.
The finca was beautiful, dropped down to the river, we saw many rafters go by, and here we were in a little alcove. Miguel''s mom, Wayne and I are all standing at the same level.
Just some of the pretty flowers around the yard.
This is just a pretty look at the finca. I have found that a finca can be anything from a real farm with crops, animals, etc., to more of a country estate like this. The mom and dad grow some orchids, the cacao, and a few other things. I also have a picture of a cocaine plant, this one they said was legal, you just chew the leaves for an indigestion aid, I think they saidl
Miguel is explaining that this sand is used for exterior stucco finishes on houses, there is another lighter sand that is used for interior and grout..
Just some of the pretty flowers around the yard.
1 comment:
I loved this post. I think the picture of the squirrel was my favorite haha!! And I can't believe those flowers just grow around the yard out there! What a beautiful place. And to see a real cacao plant..how cool is that.
Post a Comment